Ameritrust Corporation began in 1894 when The Cleveland Trust Company was founded in Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland Trust then assumed the contracts of the Security Safe Deposit and Trust Company, also located in Cleveland, Ohio. Beginning in 1903, Cleveland Trust acquired or merged with several other savings banks, including The Windemere Savings and Trust Company and The Western Reserve Trust Company. Cleveland Trust promoted innovative operating policies and procedures, including the establishment of an advertising department in 1913. It increased its number of branch offices through additional mergers, including Lake Shore Banking and Trust Company and The Garfield Savings Bank. Growth continued during the 1920s with the acquisition of the Pearl Street Savings and Trust Company. Two more banks were acquired in the 1930s; Midland Bank and South Euclid Bank. A new six story office building at East 9th Street and Huron Road was constructed in 1962. An adjacent office tower was completed in 1971. In 1974, CleveTrust Corporation, a bank holding company, was formed, with Cleveland Trust as the lead bank. Cleveland Trust was one of six local banks holding short-term notes of the City of Cleveland when financial difficulties in 1978 lead to the city's default on these loans. In 1979, The Cleveland Trust Company's name was changed to AmeriTrust Corporation. In 1986, the name was changed to Ameritrust Corporation. In 1991, Ameritrust merged with Society Corporation, and in 1992, went out of existence as a corporate entity. The collection consists of individual portraits of bank officials, directors, and corporate employees and their organizations, and views of banking facilities and marketing campaigns. A large portion of the collection consists of views of bank branches and views of the 1906-1908 construction and later renovation of the Cleveland Trust main office. Photographs of architectural detail images of the rotunda of the main branch by Margaret Bourke-White are included. The 1969-1971 construction of the tower office building addition to the main office located at Euclid Ave. and East 9th St. is also well depicted. Advertising and marketing activities are represented by both images used in and depictions of campaigns, particularly the E. 9th and Euclid outdoor displays. The collection also illustrates changes in banking equipment and facilities during the twentieth century. Also included are portraits of officers and employees of banks acquired by the Cleveland Trust Company. Other photographs of officers, directors, and corporate employees were integral to and retained with biographical materials in MS 4750 Ameritrust Corporation Records.