Jump to navigation
A Map of the Connecticut Western Reserve From Actual Servey by Seth Pease
Pease, Seth, 1764-1819.
The Connecticut Western Reserve was the area of northeast Ohio that Connecticut had reserved for her citizens in 1786 in exchange for ceding all western land claims to the U.S. government. The area comprised all land south of Lake Erie to 41' latitude and within 120 miles of Pennsylvania's western border. The Connecticut Land Company (1795-1809) was authorized by Connecticut to purchase and resell most of the Western Reserve, and received title to all Reserve land except for the 500,000-acre Firelands on the extreme west which was reserved for Connecticut victims whose lands were burned by the British in the Revolution. Gen. Moses Cleaveland, a company director and its general agent, led the first company survey party to the Reserve in 1796 and founded the settlement of Cleveland at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River.
A Map of the Connecticut Western Reserve
Featured in the "Cleveland Starts Here" Exhibit
Connecticut Land CompanySurveyors -- Ohio -- Western Reserve
Western Reserve (Ohio) -- HistoryWestern Reserve (Ohio) -- Description and travel